Thursday, February 4, 2010

The Fairmont Kea Lani was delightful

As I sit here in my Signature "Kilohana" Suite, watching humpback whales come flying out of the water like giant torpedoes, I am once again in awe at how wonderful a stay at this hotel can be. All the rooms are suites at the Kea Lani, and I LOVE these suites (Signature) with the extra square footage in the suite, the bigger balconies and more views! I especially love laying in the comfy bed looking out to a perfect Wailea ocean and listening to the sound of the waves on the shore. I have been here for 3 nights with many of my staff and their families for our annual company weekend. We call it our McCoy Travel holiday party, always planned in January after the holiday rush before the winter rush (February - Spring Break). It's a perfect time of the year with cooler nights, less wind, flawless mornings and spectacular sunsets. Oh, and the whales!

We all enjoyed mouth watering dinner at Ko's on Friday night. It is great to have everyone together including the kids. We spent Saturday and Sunday lounging around the pools, swimming and listening to the humpback whales song underwater (in the ocean) and letting the stress of the last very busy 4 weeks just melt away. On Sunday morning, I rented a kayak and ventured out on the placid ocean hoping for a whale encounter of the close kind :) A mom and baby did come by fairly close to me and it was a thrill. Sea kayaking on sit on top kayaks in the morning hours here is stellar. I had 2 excellent turtle sitings and gave my upper body a good work out (my arms are sore today!).

Last night I enjoyed Nick's Fish Market and met fantastic people at the bar. Nick's is known for creative food and amazing service. It never fails, that I meet the most fun and wonderful people whenever I go in. I order the "original" escargot (it's not on the menu, you have to ask for it by name). Soaked in garlic butter with a pastry puff over the top. Yum Yum (I just got hungry again).
Well, it's time to head to the office. We say, a bad day on Maui is better than a good day anywhere else! Going to work, although we are so very busy these days, is a joy.

In the "old days" they use to say Maui No Ka Oi ( Maui is the best). Now they call Maui the Magical Isle. These both work for me and have for 35 years. From our beautiful beaches to the top of Haleakala at 10,000 feet, and everything inbetween, this is a lovely island in a stunning chain of Islands. The Islands of Aloha, that have had me smitten since the day I got off the plane September 12, 1974!

Melissa McCoy
President
McCoy Custom Travel & Cruise
www.McCoyTravel.com
800-256-4280